For years I loved visiting Wagamama for their spicy prawn firecracker rice! It tasted amazing and I used to have it pretty regularly… until I found out that they started to put alcohol in it *cries*! I was definitely heartbroken and have been trying to whip up my own version ever since! I’m pretty chuffed with my recipe and thought that any ex-wagamama lovers would love it too!
I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you try it out! 😀
– Ayesha x
- 4 tbsp chilli oil
- 3 dried red chillis
- 1 large onion, cut in wedges
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- Handful of baby sweetcorn
- Handful of mangetout
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 100ml sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 150g cooked prawns
- 250g sticky rice
- Shichimi powder (optional)
- Black sesame seeds (optional)
- Begin by adding the chilli oil to a pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add in the dried chillis and leave for about a minute or two to allow the flavour to infuse into the oil.
- Add in the onion and ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Once the onions have lightly browned, add in the red pepper, sweetcorn, mangetout, salt and chilli flakes. Mix well for a few minutes.
- Next, add the soy sauce, sriracha sauce and vinegar and stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the cooked prawns and stir for a couple more minutes.
- Finally, serve with sticky rice and garnish with spring onion, shichimi powder and black sesame seeds.
- Tip - use a small bowl to mould the sticky rice to get a dome shape.