Yesterday I uploaded my halal restaurant brunch guide for all the best spots to hit up in London! Today’s post is for those of you who can’t be bothered to head out and would much rather cook up a delicious meal at home. One of my favourite dishes for brunch is eggs Kejriwal! 🍳
What is eggs Kejriwal, you might ask? It’s simply fried eggs on toast, with a layer of cheese and chillies. It was coined in the 1960s by Devi Prasad Kejriwal who asked for his eggs to be cooked in a specific way at the Willingdon Sports Club. He wanted his eggs spicy and like the way he had it at home, so he asked for it! All the other club members were intrigued and started to order ‘what Kejriwal is having’. Ever since, it has been a loved dish in Mumbai and that’s how it got its name “eggs Kejriwal”.
Today I’m sharing my recipe for eggs Kejriwal… with a twist! 😉 It’s made with a spicy crème fraîche cheese mix and it’s absolutely delicious. It’s the perfect weekend treat and it’s definitely a hit with everyone who tries it.
Give it a go and let me know how you get on! 🍳
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 80g crème fraîche
- 2 egg yolks
- 1tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 110g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 4 eggs
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of spring onions
- Handful of sliced chillis
- Chilli flakes
- Begin by making the cheese layer - mix together the egg yolks, crème fraîche, cumin and chilli powder.
- Add in the grated cheese and stir until everything is fully combined. Set aside.
- Toast the sourdough bread and place the slices on a tray lined with grease proof paper.
- Add 2 spoons of diced tomato to each slice of toast.
- Next, top with a generous amount of the cheese mixture and place under the grill for 5 mins until the cheese has melted.
- While the toast is in the oven, add 1 tbsp ghee to a pan and fry the eggs.
- Add the fried eggs to the cheesy toast.
- Garnish with spring onions, coriander and green chilli and chilli flakes.